Cute crafts, nerdy crafts, frilly crafts, girly crafts, guy-friendly crafts, ALL THE CRAFTS!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

DIY Soap Part 4

I'm sure if you've hung around the blogs long at all, you know I'm bad at things.  Particularly posting things on schedule!  I get busy, distracted by shiny objects, or sometimes just plain PMS-y.  Oh well!  I will catch up, though!

We're finishing this off today with a homemade all-purpose cleaner and a homemade toilet cleaner!


For the toilet cleaner, you'll need 96oz (remember, I'm doing a triple batch here, so if you want to make all this stuff with only one bar of the castile, then you'll need to cut these in thirds) of the liquid castile soap made earlier.


Also, one cup each of these, stir, then let it sit for a minute.


For the all-purpose cleaner, you'll need 16 ounces of castile and 8 cups of white vinegar poured in to start with, then put 4 cups of water on the stove to boil and back to the toilet gel....


After you've stirred up the castile, borax, and washing soda for the toilet cleaner and let it set up, you should have a really thick, white gel.


This may work well on its own, but it is so thick, I plan to put it in an old ketchup bottle and mix it down with water a little so it is just thick enough to cling to the inside of the toilet, but I can see this stuff working very, very well.


Back to the stove.  Remove the boiling water from the burner, and toss in about 1/4 each of rosemary and thyme and let it sit for 15 minutes.  Strain the herbs out, then add that to your all-purpose cleaner bucket.  Give it a stir, add some tea tree oil if you'd like, and bottle it up.  You use 2oz for every 1 3/4 cups of water to a spray bottle or dilute it stronger or weaker for your cleaning needs, but I kept mine pretty concentrated for easy storage and plan to dilute it out as I need it!


Re-purpose some old bottles...


This, I forgot to take a picture of the inside of, but it was one of those disposable dispenser cleaning wipe jars and when it was empty, I washed it out, added new cleaner, then used the little teeth at the top that are made to catch the wipes to hold up a few of those super-thin microfiber washcloths you can usually find near the baby stuff.  They soak up just enough of the cleaner from the bottom to stay damp, so they are perfect for dusting and when they get all gross, I just wash them, then toss them back in the jar!


Bonus points for super dorky labels.  I really, honestly couldn't help myself.  And I love them.  Unashamedly.
<3
WW

No comments:

Post a Comment